These resources will help parents with nonspeaking / nonverbal and preverbal children:
Organisations that can help
Alternative communication methods:
- LAMP – Words for Life
- ProLoQuo2Go – available as a device and also an app
- Assistive Technology
- PECS for iPad
Where to get PECS cards / visuals
- PECS UK
- Do 2 Learn
- ASD Bright Ideas
- Practical Autism Resources has hundreds of free downloadable choice boards.
- The Educate Autism site is a treasure trove of all different visual printouts, from colours to body parts and most are free.
- Amazing bunch of free resources from Giving Greetings including hygiene sequences, toilet training and social stories.
- Connectability has free templates for visual supports.
- Picto Selector is free software containing thousands of visual symbols. Please note that it is made for autistic people of any age, for any scenario, so does contain some explicit symbols.
Visual scheduling apps
General useful information
- Now & Next transitions
- Carol Gray Social Stories
- Understood Graphic Organisers
- Using TEACCH
- Charlotte Olson’s Suzie & Sammy books
- Social stories and comic strip conversations
- Using visual prompts
- Visual communication and transitions
- How to use visual communications
- Nonverbal doesn’t mean not capable