General resources for understanding autism:
Great websites for general information
- Bristol Autism Support
- The Autism Page
- Loren Snow’s Autism Academy
- The National Autistic Society
- Raising Children – this is an Australian site that has a lot of excellent articles about autism
General autism information
- What is autism?
- Does my child have autism?
- Some general common autistic traits
- Listening to autistic adults – blogs, etc.
- Autism Inclusivity Facebook group – where parents can ask questions of autistic adults about their child’s behaviour, etc.
- Why an autism diagnosis isn’t the end of the world
- How should I feel about my child’s diagnosis?
- If it isn’t autism, what could it be?
Assessment and diagnosis
- Bill Nason’s The Autism Discussion Page books:
- The Autism Discussion Page on anxiety, behaviour, school and parenting strategies
- The Autism Discussion Page on the core challenges of autism
- The Autism Discussion Page on stress, anxiety, meltdowns and shutdowns
- The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz – about sensory processing issues
- Autism: How to Raise A Happy Autistic Child by Jessie Hewitson
- The Reason I Jump and its sequel, Fall Down 7 Times Get up 8 by Naoki Higashida
- Jessica Kingsley Publishing has a wide range of autism-specific books. Click here to visit their website